February 28, 2007

This Is How I Know Society Is Collapsing

From Psychiatry Vol 4. No. 2, Feb 2007 p.42:

"Second, paternal postpartum depression might be related to lower levels of estrogen."

I didn't read any further because both my eyeballs exploded.

Comments

Thanks for the smile. I nee... (Below threshold)

February 28, 2007 4:58 PM | Posted by Bwahahahaha: | Reply

Thanks for the smile. I needed it. :)

Oh, my. I know a husband w... (Below threshold)

March 1, 2007 12:21 AM | Posted by Jennifer Emick: | Reply

Oh, my. I know a husband who 'suffered' from this...after the 'sympathetic labor pains.'

Why does this not surprise ... (Below threshold)

March 1, 2007 5:25 PM | Posted by Gianna: | Reply

Why does this not surprise me??

Why does this not surprise ... (Below threshold)

March 1, 2007 5:26 PM | Posted by Gianna: | Reply

Why does this not surprise me?? The creation of pathology where there is none is not new. But it did get a laugh out of me as well!

Greetings Mr. Last Psychiat... (Below threshold)

March 2, 2007 12:22 PM | Posted by Jason Thompson: | Reply

Greetings Mr. Last Psychiatrist--

We were in touch late last year about an article I was researching on the future of the DSM. Thought you might be interested in checking out the now finished article, featured as the inaugural post of my blog, NEUROTRANSMISSION.

The essay’s called DECONSTRUCTING THE PSYCHIATRIC BIBLE, or “DSM-V, how the American Psychiatric Association told me my mom was crazy, and how I found the true meaning of madness and sanity at the edge of neuroscience.” In it, I tell the story of how I tried to diagnose my mother’s mental illness, and get to grips with the current controversies in the psychiatric diagnostic system. It’s both deeply personal and philosophically reflective -- a marriage of brain science, investigative journalism and emotional introspection – and I believe it will resonate with anyone interested in, or affected by, the issue of what it means to deal with mental illness.

Going forward, NEUROTRANSMISSION will document the ongoing debate concerning the nature of mental disorder, based on the state-of-the-art in psychology, psychiatry and contemporary culture. Is mental illness directly analogous to physical illness, caused by specific dysfunctions in genetics or brain biochemistry? Or is madness in the eye of the beholder, a normative social construct? What does it mean to be "sane," anyway, in a world riven by social pathologies? NEUROTRANSMISSION will consider the spectrum of dialog on these timeworn yet urgent questions, from the perspectives of psychiatry, psychology, the arts, philosophy and cultural anthropology, striving to capture the latest understandings of both mental illness and health in the developed west and beyond.

I look forward to your comments and feedback. Please forward the blog URL to anyone you think might be interested.

BTW, really liked your thinking on the Riley case, narcissism, and the top 10 mistakes made by psychiatrists. Keep up the good work.

A brief bio: I have a literary background (MA in English from Oxford) but now work in mental health (counseling homeless youth).

Best wishes,
Jason Thompson
www.neurotransmission.wordpress.com

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: -2 (4 votes cast)
Sounds lovely.... (Below threshold)

March 3, 2007 1:26 AM | Posted by Marissa Miller: | Reply