November 17, 2007

Some Inspirational Words From My Friend In Colorado Springs

"When I was a boy of seven or eight I read a novel entitled "Abafi"... The lessons it teaches are much like those of "Ben Hur," and in this respect it might be viewed as anticipatory of the work of Wallace. The possibilities of will-power and self-control appealed tremendously to my vivid imagination, and I began to discipline myself. Had I a sweet cake or a juicy apple which I was dying to eat I would give it to another boy and go through the tortures of Tantalus, pained but satisfied. Had I some difficult task before me which was exhausting I would attack it again and again until it was done. So I practiced day by day from morning till night. At first it called for a vigorous mental effort directed against disposition and desire, but as years went by the conflict lessened and finally my will and wish became identical. They are so to-day, and in this lies the secret of whatever success I have achieved."

Comments

Yes, there is great truth i... (Below threshold)

November 18, 2007 3:13 AM | Posted by Whatever: | Reply

Yes, there is great truth in this. Thank you for posting it.

I don't know what to think ... (Below threshold)

November 18, 2007 8:44 AM | Posted by rbh: | Reply

I don't know what to think about that. It sounds like the ravings of Yahweh in the Old Testament.

This is so true. Without th... (Below threshold)

November 18, 2007 12:21 PM | Posted by Stephany: | Reply

This is so true. Without the experiences of our life, especially the hardest times: the goals in our life would not be achieved. And when we achieve something our experiences are part of that goal, the end result.
This is a great thing to post. Thanks.

And he was also deathly afr... (Below threshold)

November 19, 2007 2:34 AM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

And he was also deathly afraid of round things.

So I practiced day by... (Below threshold)

March 24, 2013 3:42 PM | Posted by narcissus : | Reply

All the current discussions here could benefit from the above suggestion. Brilliantly simple and yet, we find a way to distract. Something keeps us putting it off until tomorrow. Thank you TLP. Thank you Alone. And yes, I endlessly worried about who you were. Male or female? More than one person? Religious or secular? Left or right? Right or wrong?

That question is about as relevant as did Jesus have a beard or did Han Solo shoot first.

The solution lays not outside, never in a media representation nor modeled for me to follow. The solution is what I do, next. In the next fews seconds and the seconds that follow that. Maybe one day my will and wish unite. Maybe not. But the life lived in pursuit of willing one thing outshines the constant distraction of identity manufacturing and analysis paralysis.