May 14, 2008

I DO NOT CENSOR COMMENTS, MY DAMN SPAM FILTER DOES

That said, someone hates me, fairly I guess, and I respond, not exactly, but worth reading.

Comments

Well, it sounds like you've... (Below threshold)

May 14, 2008 2:35 AM | Posted by Ronnie: | Reply

Well, it sounds like you've stepped on somebody's toes. Perhaps a guy with a sex-starved wife? And according to the comments, someone who isn't really making much money nor is having much success in life:

"You wanna protect the good, six-figure, stock-quotin', existential-hero doc from the likes of mean old me?"

Commentators who make a big deal out of censoring make me laugh. There's no law about "free speech" on private blogs. Get over it.

PS. Nothing wrong with unde... (Below threshold)

May 14, 2008 2:42 AM | Posted by Ronnie: | Reply

PS. Nothing wrong with underachievers, I'm one of them. But there's no sour grapes in my case. ;)

Lets face it. There are som... (Below threshold)

May 15, 2008 9:56 AM | Posted by AK: | Reply

Lets face it. There are some occupations where, automatically people will throw projections at you. You're not there as a person, you are just a movie screen onto which people project their unfinished business. On bad days, you'll feel like a heavily used bedpan.

A sample of occupations that are flypaper for people's projections. This is by no means meant to be an exhaustive list. Readers are invited to add their own contributions.

1) Psychiatrist

2) Judge

3) Police officer

4) IRS employee

All of these occupations trigger people's anxieties about autonomy, boundaries (eg privacy, money, whether or not one is to use drugs), whether one is sane or crazy.

Other set ups can invite projection and the worst of it is, these are notoccupations one can change or retire from.

1) Being a young blonde girl or woman. (I am not blonde, by the way. But I have observed this on my walks around town). I see blond girls and women getting cat calls even when they are fully dressed and not doing a single thing to solicit attention. Once, a young lady with golden tresses, fully and conservatively dressed was walking down a street talkin on her cell phone. A man tried to get her to talk to him, and he had a rather needy vibe. She was trying to concentrate on the call and didnt respond. He blew up and began screaming at her, calling her a 'B'.

And, many travel guides advise blond women to cover their hair if in certain parts of the world, to reduce the amount of intrusive and tiring attention that would otherwise come their way.

2) Being transgender in a society based on binary/either or gender roles. I was working at a homeless drop in center. A man in drag came in, singing and doing Dianna Ross impersonations. (And was damn good at it, too). One of the clients took one look at 'Diana' and went crazy on the spot, screaming, 'You cant have a man be a woman, you cant have a man be a woman!!!!' In his case it was so much of an ego-busting challenge that he lost control of himself.

3) Being a member of an ethnic group or following a belief system that is stigmatized in the area where one lives.

Or.. refusing to have a belief system in an area where you are expected and even demanded to profess one. (eg can you imagine a professed atheist being able to run for the US Presidency?)

hate will always displace a... (Below threshold)

May 18, 2008 1:47 AM | Posted by Diane Abus: | Reply

hate will always displace almost !! love,truth,life-for purpose of discussion here.

Best,Rock on Doc

it's the Internet for God's... (Below threshold)

May 18, 2008 2:24 AM | Posted by Stephany: | Reply

it's the Internet for God's sake. Pass the rum.

I don't think it would be a... (Below threshold)

May 19, 2008 7:21 PM | Posted by Esther: | Reply

I don't think it would be a problem if you censored comments anyway, but it's nice that you don't. It is your blog after all.

I've been lurking for a while and just wanted to come out of the woodwork and say I enjoy reading your entries even if I don't always agree with you.

PS- is that a typo in the t... (Below threshold)

May 21, 2008 5:48 PM | Posted by Stephany: | Reply

PS- is that a typo in the title? "by" makes it sound like you have a cold.

His spam filter has a code.... (Below threshold)

May 23, 2008 9:58 PM | Posted, in reply to Stephany's comment, by tanj: | Reply

His spam filter has a code. Perhaps alone caught a code from his spam filter?

ah, no i think it was the r... (Below threshold)

May 27, 2008 1:10 AM | Posted by Stephany: | Reply

ah, no i think it was the rum

was I censored? if so why? ... (Below threshold)

May 29, 2008 3:35 PM | Posted by did not expect hard to not abuse: | Reply

was I censored? if so why? My feeling were hones and inoffensive. if not, what did I say not true or that hurt anyone - trying tofind info, not alienate
I need to apologize I meant no harm

Look in the mirror, when it... (Below threshold)

May 29, 2008 3:45 PM | Posted by did not expect hard to not abuse: | Reply

Look in the mirror, when it's you hear only your breathe - realize you are a hypocrite, putting retarded people down, or making fun of people in whellchairs or whatever would seem to be your way of informing. I assume YOU can learn nothing from me, you need owsley, to bad, maybe burning man - trust find or horatio alger?
Gone in 6 months, the who you are, not your suff, will tell the tell laugh now at your cleverness - it could be gone ina flash.
I plays Blues. I live in madison. happy to talk. we can find common ground

sorry about the mispelled w... (Below threshold)

May 29, 2008 3:48 PM | Posted by did not expect hard to not abuse: | Reply

sorry about the mispelled words :>