December 9, 2008

If You're Reading It, It's For You?

I came across an odd ad in one of the psych journals.

griffith gaunt.JPG

It's an ad for Western Psychiatric Institute.  I assume nothing in ads is random.  Can anyone tell me why she's reading Griffith Gaunt?

Comments

Maybe it's in the public do... (Below threshold)

December 9, 2008 12:08 PM | Posted by Fargo: | Reply

Maybe it's in the public domain?

I... I have nothin'.

Don't be jealous. Do the t... (Below threshold)

December 9, 2008 12:59 PM | Posted by CC: | Reply

Don't be jealous. Do the truly loving thing and refer your failures to us, for we know what to do.

And, oh, yeah, nearly forgo... (Below threshold)

December 9, 2008 1:01 PM | Posted by CC: | Reply

And, oh, yeah, nearly forgot: there was no way you would have figured out the right therapy 'cause it's little old you and your patient's problems were like, way to complex.

Haha, that's funny. I'm gue... (Below threshold)

December 9, 2008 1:42 PM | Posted by demodenise: | Reply

Haha, that's funny. I'm guessing it's just a stock photo, though. It has that really nondescript look to it. If it was their photo, I'm guessing she would be flipping through something with their name plastered all over it.

The layout, however is *classic* David Ogilvy. Which implies that they're philosophically about 35 years in the past, or that they want to be.

She's not reading it. She's... (Below threshold)

December 9, 2008 4:32 PM | Posted by Per Jørgensen: | Reply

She's not reading it. She's feeling around inside its pages, perhaps searching for the complex puzzle or its comprehensive solution.

I feel kinda dumb about ask... (Below threshold)

December 10, 2008 10:46 AM | Posted by Jack Coupal: | Reply

I feel kinda dumb about asking this, but...

How on earth do you know the book pictured is Griffith Gaunt? I even had to go to amazon to find out what a griffith gaunt was.

I find it strange they chos... (Below threshold)

December 15, 2008 5:22 PM | Posted by Trei: | Reply

I find it strange they chose a woman, and a black one too. is that the 'target population' for a loony bin?! maybe I'm not seeing right...

why is it called "western" ... (Below threshold)

January 31, 2009 2:22 PM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

why is it called "western" when it's out east? I know nothing about that book but I'm sure it would be the most boring book I would ever read. It's only there to attract people to the hospital.

they're feeling their "worst"

support them at their "best"

live "healthier" and more "productive" lives

Dunno. But "Silent Woman, S... (Below threshold)

August 1, 2009 1:22 AM | Posted by R. Kevin Hill: | Reply

Dunno. But "Silent Woman, Speaking Fiction: Charles Reade's _Griffith Gaunt_ (1866) at the Adultery Trial of Henry Ward Beecher," by Laura Hanft Korobkin (in _The New Nineteenth Century_, ed. B. Harman & S. Meyer) might very well contain some juicy material for free associating. Elizabeth Tilton seems to have thought the book contained a message for her (stop screwing around and get right with God and man).

Is it a psychiatric nurse? ... (Below threshold)

May 19, 2013 5:44 PM | Posted, in reply to Trei's comment, by Geese: | Reply

Is it a psychiatric nurse? She's wearing white, right? Super old-school.