May 12, 2009

If You Have To Ask, The Answer Is Neither

happy.JPG

Comments

I think it's funny how you ... (Below threshold)

May 12, 2009 9:26 PM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

I think it's funny how you have a Scientology ad on your blog

Anonymous, don't you know t... (Below threshold)

May 13, 2009 12:21 AM | Posted by AndrewAtor: | Reply

Anonymous, don't you know that The Last Psychiatrist is actually the last psychiatrist anyone that has ever suffered through Scientology can hope to find refuge within? This cartoon isn't so much of a question as it is a predictor used to determine if you'll become a Scientologist or not. If you answer at all it means your stress levels are out of control and must seek immediate thetan-approved care facilities.

Actually, you've gone and g... (Below threshold)

May 13, 2009 3:51 AM | Posted by robotslave: | Reply

Actually, you've gone and given away the game, there, with that "have to" of yours. Because the person who has the luxury of contemplating the distinction in question is, clearly, happy.

There are no people who "have to" ponder the difference between happiness and not-having-been-diagnosed-by-the-psychiatric-industry. They're just, you know, happy. That's why the, uh, cartoon, which is, like, conciously unrealistic, is, um, funny*.

To say that they are ill if they "have to ask" is self-serving; you might as well tell all the people who really don't mind the Modern Existence, even though they find it weird, that they ought to be deeply worried for their mental health, and sign up immediately to pay lots of monies to the psychiatrists.

If you want to comment on the fact that psychiatry no longer officially considers "mania" to be a disorder, you're much better off just doing so directly, instead of making with all the weird smirking faces and inarticulate hooting noises from the peanut gallery.

* familiarity with basic comedic tropes is assumed

This isn't really serious. ... (Below threshold)

June 3, 2009 7:08 PM | Posted by Jen: | Reply

This isn't really serious. It's just funny for those who can read between the lines. I love how the word 'asymptomatic' rolls off the tip of my tongue - asymptomatic, asymptomatic, asymptomatic. It seems to be a very silly, seriously taken word used by psychiatrists to demonstrate the seriousness of what they do. We all aspire to "be happy" depite its elusive, undefinable and unrecognizable form it may take. Unhappiness, on the other hand, seems to be an accepted part of the human condition. Although it's not tolerated very well. We know that unsymptomatic is connected inextrably with happiness since we know it won't last forever.

wow"you are not your... (Below threshold)

June 6, 2009 11:32 PM | Posted by Jared: | Reply

wow
"you are not your job, or the clothes you wear"
"so who are you?"
"scientology.org"
somewhere, in Washington, Chuck Palahniuk is weeping himself to sleep...

thanks for this awesome web... (Below threshold)

February 8, 2015 12:10 PM | Posted by mita: | Reply

thanks for this awesome web page, i like it alat bantu sex

I'm now not sure the place ... (Below threshold)

May 25, 2015 1:46 AM | Posted by kalo: | Reply

I'm now not sure the place you are getting your information, but good topic. I must spend a while finding out more or understanding more. Thank you for fantastic information I used to be searching for this info for my mission. Sport Betting Guide

After read a couple of the ... (Below threshold)

May 25, 2015 1:52 AM | Posted by loki: | Reply

After read a couple of the articles on your website these few days, and I truly like your style of blogging. I tag it to my favorites internet site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my web site also and let me know what you think. Asia Travel Tips