November 11, 2011

Joe Paterno Fired For A Crime He Didn't Commit

penn state riots1.jpg
dressing for the big game

As background for the German and Danish readers who are too busy trying to determine if come Monday morning milk will be priced in marks and/or krone, over in America everyone's gone bananas because, allegedly, a Penn State football coach named Jerry Sandusky was molesting little kids.  One day an assistant accidentally stumbled upon Sandusky "anally raping" a 10 year old boy in the locker room showers, so he went home, took a nap, and the next day told the head coach Joe Paterno what he saw.  What Paterno did next is subject to some debate, but it seems to fall within the broad category of "nothing," which he then did spectacularly for the next 11 years.

Then two days ago riots erupted on Penn State's campus, the kind with pepper spray and armored police, because Joe Paterno was... fired.  I think that means they wanted him to stay, but my eyes won't let me believe it.

penn state riots.jpg

OccupyWallSt: no violence.  Penn State: violence.  Americans are idiots.

I.

Here's a good place to start: if Joe Paterno wasn't just a coach but a Catholic archbishop he'd be facing the International Criminal Court, and if he was a hedge fund trader someone would have killed him twice.  This tells me that who he is matters way more to people than what he's done, which is almost always an alarm to flip over the couch and click off the safety.

Here's the generational problem, and what's significant about it isn't so much that it didn't happen but that no one has even thought to mention it: the reason Paterno had to be fired is because if he stayed, if he and the administration thought this was surmountable, then it would have put the football players in the extremely uncomfortable position of having to make the ethical decision themselves.  "Do I want to keep playing for an organization that hides this kind of thing?"  That's a heavy question to ask a 20 year old.  These players are college kids, which means that what is at stake in making this choice is their entire futures, whereas what is at stake for Paterno and the school is their legacy.  Does some defensive end have to consider throwing away his entire possible career just to make the choice that his elders should have made for him?  The answer is yes, but it is way unfair of the rest of us to saddle him with it.

Notwithstanding that the future is demonstrably more valuable than the past, forgetting about that-- it is the responsibility of the older generation to take the bullet so that the younger generation has a chance.  "I don't know who the hell spilled all these banana peels and ball bearings, " says Mr. Expanding Waistline And Declining Penile Tumescence, "but I got to clean it up so the kids don't trip over it."

This is why CEOs step down and generals resign, it isn't simply that "they are ultimately responsible" but that it is their job is to throw themselves on the grenade so that the area is cleared for everyone else, and if your CEO or general or father isn't willing to do that, then you don't actually have a CEO or general or father, you have a politician.  Enjoy your democracy.

I'm somewhat hesitant to admit that the only thing I know about college football is college cheerleaders, and if you think that makes me less of a man I'll patiently listen to you concoct some explanation.  But thanks to the Fourth Estate I now know who Paterno is, how revered he is, and what kind of person is doing the revering: this idiot on the top of a news van jumping in front of a cardboard cut out of Joe Paterno doing exactly what he did when he was told about the anal sex:

guy on van penn state.jpgguy2 on news van.jpg

I'd like to draw your attention to three things, first, that wildman is standing on a van that is laying unnaturally sideways, second that there are seven hundred and fifty thousand people cheering him on, and third that he is white.  That last bit is fortunate because it avoids misunderstanding when I say that he looks like a chimpanzee.  And moves like one.  But I'd also have to admit that later that night some poor chick from Delta Gamma was on the receiving end of that simian's semen, and she loved it.

Note that while he is probably just a guy standing on a news van, he has been co-opted by the media Semioti-Matic and transformed into a symbol of primitive sexuality and moral idiocy for which he has no recourse or rebuttal.  He may in fact be an idiot with a big penis, all of my intuition tells me he is an idiot with a big penis, but who the hell knows?  The moment he got put on TV he became an image slave.  The media can do what they want with him, and they have.

But surely not all students at Penn State are so unsympathetic to the anal rape of children?

women penn state protest.jpg

Ah, there they are, couldn't get bus fare to NYC, I guess.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe this is the rum talking, but anyone else see heptuplets? So it's not just me.  The media has now successfully changed the narrative from "somethingsomethingsomething anal rape" to a sports analogy of two opposing teams:  Big Dick vs. Hippie Chick.  Now it is so easy for me to pick a side, thank you Jesus, a side which has nothing to do with child molestation and everything to do with which of these two groups I hate more.

I would be drunk if I did not point out that just as the media symbol for the collapse of public order is looting-- i.e. the opposite of shopping, the media symbol for a collapse of civil society  is the destruction of a media news van.

penn state riot news van.jpg

Show me some broken windows or broken heads and I will wait to be told who is to blame, but anyone who attacks the media is self-evidently a degenerate.  The odd thing is that while the media are supposed to be impartial and invisible, the most active in terms of agenda, framing, and activity, is that very media.  Their specific function at that riot is to make money, and they're surprised they became a target?  If you start a riot, the very first thing you should flip over is the news van.  Just don't then stand on it.

I had hoped that the younger generation was going to have better priorities than their highly narcissistic elders, i.e. Sandusky and Paterno and the excellent men and women of the Board 2002-2011, but it doesn't look good.  It looks real bad, in fact. What I see is an up and coming generation unable to weigh societal goods, let alone moral equivalences, almost entirely because they have to play Nebraska today.  Which scares me to believe that 2012-2035 will be a repeat of 1978-2001.  I hope I'm wrong.  If you see them bring back  pantyhose, I wasn't.

And there's this, and again, I don't know much about football, but I do know a lot about human motivation: If Jerry Sandusky was indeed having anal sex with a 10 year old in the Penn State locker room showers, where anyone could stumble upon him, then it is impossible to imagine he hadn't already done it there before.  He felt safe doing it.  At Penn State.  In the locker room.

If this was any other organization but college football, they would have detonated it faster than Enron.  But since no one likes anyone that much, his not being immediately imprisoned requires some explanation other than "well, Sandusky saved me back in 'Nam, so I owed him", and all of them, every single one, is going to involve some version of the phrase "institutionalization of corruption."  The only open question is how big you thing the word  "institution" is, campus size or national size.  When you wake up tomorrow to the unbelievable realization that the Zegna suits in Wall Street are the least corrupt of your generation, remember that the alarm had already been sounded if you had only paused to hear it.  Flip over the couch and click off the safety.  None of you are safe.

---

Comments

Just a pedantic note: Denma... (Below threshold)

November 12, 2011 5:06 PM | Posted by Aldfrith: | Reply

Just a pedantic note: Denmark is not part of the Eurozone. They kept their kroner.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 14 (18 votes cast)
There is this veiled attemp... (Below threshold)

November 12, 2011 6:27 PM | Posted by rontom: | Reply

There is this veiled attempt to support martyrdom vs the scoundrelous behavior (real high-powered sophistry); then there is the contempt towards the youth (bitterness); and of course, the obligatory spew on narcissism and its ugly sons; then, a confused finale. I dont get you anymore, TLP. What the hell happened?

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 7 (31 votes cast)
Meh. The "how the students/... (Below threshold)

November 12, 2011 7:09 PM | Posted by Max: | Reply

Meh. The "how the students/faculty/rest of us are taking the story" story is playing secondarily to the main scandal. Penn State has riots when the beer runs low or when they're out of glow-in-the-dark condoms. Your part III is spot on though. First the catholic church, now the church of football.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 11 (11 votes cast)
Sheesh.A: riots at... (Below threshold)

November 12, 2011 7:57 PM | Posted by DensityDuck: | Reply

Sheesh.

A: riots at Penn State is hardly something new. These people riot after farmer's markets, for Chrissakes.

B: imagine that every day of your entire life you have been told that someone is a great man. Suddenly you wake up and not only is he no longer a great man, not only was he never a great man, but the people who tell you to hate him are the same people who yesterday told you to love him.

C: These people also say that loud, outspoken demonstration is an acceptable method of displaying one's feelings of inchoate defiance.

D: We are further expected to believe that a coach who has kicked players off his football team for being in the same room as a bag of marijuana would hear a report of violent child rape by a subordinate on school property and say "I guess we better cover that shit up".

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 21 (27 votes cast)
I think he was fired for wh... (Below threshold)

November 12, 2011 9:05 PM | Posted by JohnJ: | Reply

I think he was fired for what he DID do, i.e., fail to report the incident to the appropriate authorities.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 6 (14 votes cast)
Fuck.I've long sin... (Below threshold)

November 12, 2011 11:14 PM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

Fuck.

I've long since flipped over the couch, but there aren't really any guns in my country.

I think I might buy a boat.

On second thoughts, I think I'm just going to vomit. Pass the rum.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 6 (8 votes cast)
Where can I get my own semi... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2011 12:35 AM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

Where can I get my own semioti-matic?

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 15 (15 votes cast)
Here's a good place to s... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2011 1:28 AM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

The data isn't easy to find, but has a SINGLE archbishop ever been convicted anywhere? I haven't heard of that happening.

As for a hedgie, check out this guy.

18 month sentence, and got out in 13 for good behavior.

There's a definite football worship in this country, but there's an even bigger money-and-power worship. Paterno got shabbier treatment than people who did worse. Which isn't in any way to excuse his behavior, just to say that your premise is dodgy.

The media has now successfully changed the narrative from "somethingsomethingsomething anal rape" to a sports analogy of two opposing teams: Big Dick vs. Hippie Chick.

No, actually, you did that! This is your lens you're looking through. Your thought process shoehorns just about everything into A vs. B, and then you go with C (you have to go with C) because you take a great deal of pride in being the contrarian.

You really want to go to bat for these guys, TLP? You keep doing it and I don't understand why. No, they were far from being the least corrupt. That title probably goes to some 52-year old paper mill worker who's quietly trying to put his kids through school but is nevertheless about to lose his job, not because the demand for the product isn't there, but because the PE parasites levered the hell out of the balance sheet shortly after taking over and now there's got to be cuts if there's any hope of them extracting more.

Paterno absolves Wall Street of nothing.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 70 (84 votes cast)
Oh, and I hope that didn't ... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2011 1:31 AM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

Oh, and I hope that didn't seem too combative up there. I love ya but sometimes I just don't understand you.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 8 (10 votes cast)
"Semioti-Matic" is on the s... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2011 5:29 AM | Posted by Guy Fox: | Reply

"Semioti-Matic" is on the short-list for Made-Up-Word-o'-The-Year.

What's with the anti-fetish against panty hose? Did a mean teacher wear it every day a few decades ago or what? Isn't it just a pointless post-modern banality, like seedless fruit and anti-aging everything? Couldn't you say the same about oversized tie knots or cufflinks?

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: -4 (6 votes cast)
I'm curious if you have any... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2011 8:08 AM | Posted by TomInJersey: | Reply

I'm curious if you have any thoughts on why the original witness, seeing a child rape in progress, didn't do anything right then. I don't want to hate the guy, but I can't understand how he could see a crime in progress and do nothing. I don't think it could be the bystander effect, where he figured lots of people could see what was going on and so someone else would act. So what was it?

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 19 (19 votes cast)
"Here's a good place to sta... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2011 11:26 AM | Posted by Adam: | Reply

"Here's a good place to start: if Joe Paterno wasn't just a coach but a Catholic archbishop he'd be facing the International Criminal Court, and if he was a hedge fund trader someone would have killed him twice. This tells me that who he is matters way more to people than what he's done, which is almost always an alarm to flip over the couch and click off the safety."

I can't be the only one who read this and thought that no archbishop has ever faced criminal charges, let alone from the ICC, for their actions in covering up child rape. Instead, we have apologists come out of the woodwork (on cable news shows, rather than riots in the street) to come up with every excuse in the book: this happened a long time ago, it was better that the priests stay under the control of the bishop than in the hands of the police, the liberal psychiatrists of the time thought they could be rehabilitated, the vatican is an ancient institution whose traditions involve absolution of sins and this must be respected, blah blah blah. It's not fundamentally different than these kids rioting so that there can still be a football game next weekend.

Same puzzle, different picture.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 6 (12 votes cast)
OccupyWallSt: no violence</... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2011 11:49 AM | Posted by John s: | Reply

OccupyWallSt: no violence

I guess you have missed the numerous rapes. And deaths.

You should read this

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: -6 (28 votes cast)
Were you drunk when you wro... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2011 11:53 AM | Posted by Morgan: | Reply

Were you drunk when you wrote this? It kind of... wanders.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 12 (16 votes cast)
Christ, you don't like socc... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2011 2:14 PM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

Christ, you don't like soccer do you?

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: -1 (5 votes cast)
You are writing this as if ... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2011 3:21 PM | Posted by meistergedanken: | Reply

You are writing this as if you missed the important fact that Sandusky retired in 1999. And the shower incident occurred in 2002. So in 2002 Sandusky was not employed by the university OR on Paterno's coaching staff (the use of the facilities was part of his retirement benefits). So why is Paterno's responsibility greater than anyone else's? Oh, because he is the most famous. Got it.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: -6 (24 votes cast)
I'm curious if you have ... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2011 4:07 PM | Posted, in reply to TomInJersey's comment, by EH: | Reply

I think the simplest explanation is that he didn't think it was a crime.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 8 (8 votes cast)
I'm always surprised to hea... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2011 6:47 PM | Posted by Anna: | Reply

I'm always surprised to hear people accuse TLP of bitterness and contempt—stylistic peculiarities aside, all I hear is empathy and ethical urgency. Surely, this blog is more for your benefit than his.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 13 (27 votes cast)
I think you're supposed to ... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2011 7:00 PM | Posted, in reply to Morgan's comment, by The Devastator: | Reply

I think you're supposed to read each Roman Numeral-ed section as a separate essay. A lot of times Alone has several different points he wants to make about one topic, so he puts them all in one post like this.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 6 (6 votes cast)
Joe Pa got screwed. End of ... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2011 8:04 PM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

Joe Pa got screwed. End of story. Trustees at Penn State, you suck. One by one those who made this country great are being thrown under the bus in the name of political correctness. Poltical correctness be damned.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: -35 (41 votes cast)
Joe Pa got screwed. End of ... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2011 8:04 PM | Posted by DrJ: | Reply

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: -25 (37 votes cast)
"This is a story about four... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2011 9:51 PM | Posted by ThisIsInsane: | Reply

"This is a story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody. There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody’s job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn’t do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anyone could have."

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 20 (20 votes cast)
For those of you who live y... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2011 10:05 PM | Posted by Empire of Jeff: | Reply

For those of you who live your lives entirely in your own minds, here are two ways Joe Paterno could have handled the situation:

A: "Jeez, Sandusky! Go assrape kids in somebody else's shower! Seriously!"

B: "Hello, police? I have been informed that a former employee assraped a child in my locker room. Could you investigate this allegation at your earliest convenience?"

Joe Paterno chose option A.

Please explain how Paterno got "screwed."

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 33 (39 votes cast)
The thing that everyone for... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2011 10:18 PM | Posted by Just another: | Reply

The thing that everyone forgets in the timeline is that apparently the DA at the time (who has since disappeared and has been declared legally dead) did not think that there was enough evidence to press charges.

What should have gone on after that was a sting operation to get Sandusky. I would like to know why that never happened.

I have lived in State College my entire life. What you have to realize here is the shock that the local community has suffered and the reflection of that that you're seeing on the news. We all look so stupid. The reality is that we're dumbfounded.

It is a small town. There has never been a whisper than the Paterno family was anything but upright and ethical. Despite his obvious wealth, Paterno lived in a small, modest house his entire career. He cheerfully said hi to you if you ran into him on the street. He donated millions of dollars to build a new wing for the Penn State library. He was here for 61 years, and never let his players do anything wrong. Any infractions, they didn't play. Penn State had a high graduation rate for college football. From all appearances, this was the cleanest program in the nation.

In this small town, where everyone knows everyone, there has never been a hint or a whisper that Paterno has been anything but caring.

So forgive our surprise.

And let me say one little thing about the riots here. The riots here are not like riots in other places. They are called riots, but they are more like large groups of running-around people--with the occasional overturned lamppost or TV truck. The kids shouldn't be rioting, but it's not exactly Watts.

I don't know what will happen next. I have the feeling it is going to get uglier. But the light is finally being shined on this horrific situation, and, along with the truth starting to emerge, maybe a few more people out there will start to believe that child rape is something they might want to report and follow up on.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 14 (22 votes cast)
"This tells me that who he ... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2011 10:55 PM | Posted by Default: | Reply

"This tells me that who he is matters way more to people than what he's done, which is almost always an alarm to flip over the couch and click off the safety."

If that were so, that alarm would (almost) never stop sounding, and we'd be too busy hiding behind our couches to get anything done. I'm upset about this nonsense at Penn State too, but it doesn't mean the sky is falling.

A good read, but the "harbinger of doom/abandon all hope, ye young generation" tone is a bit much.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 4 (8 votes cast)
Paterno got his just desert... (Below threshold)

November 14, 2011 2:38 AM | Posted by Whatever: | Reply

Paterno got his just deserts for hushing up a crime but IMO the assistant who accidentally stumbled on the scene and didn't stop what's going on, alert police etc. is the one to blame for everything and should be shot, runned over and shot again.

That's exactly why I don't send my 10 yo to any scouts, church services or sports. He may end up making unpleasant experiences anyway (I strongly hope not) but NOT from those disgusting mofos.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: -5 (5 votes cast)
If you see them bring ba... (Below threshold)

November 14, 2011 2:47 AM | Posted by Yippee: | Reply

If you see them bring back pantyhose, I wasn't.

The Doc reads tabloids too. YES!!!

Here's a link to the Grand ... (Below threshold)

November 14, 2011 6:34 AM | Posted by Updike: | Reply

Here's a link to the Grand Jury report if anyone would like a less hysterical account of the background to this story:

Interesting... you could dr... (Below threshold)

November 14, 2011 8:27 AM | Posted, in reply to Updike's comment, by Rookiie: | Reply

Interesting... you could draw the line anywhere you like and ask who the buck stops with. I think, in line with Alone's message, Paterno (and how ironic is the name?) was the first senior staff member to be informed; the graduate assiistant was still a young man and a junior staff member. He did the right thing to take it to his supervisor or superior. I don't think doing so means he can tick a box saying 'duty of care fulfuilled' though, and Paterno certainly couldn't when he passed infoormation up the line. I think Alone's statement about the players having to make an ethical choice about leaving a team that supports Paterno, if he san't fired, is a particularly incisive observation: Paterno should have made that call long ago, and persisted in reporting the incident, no matter what his superiors did and ssaid, he should have retained his responsibility and not ticked the 'duty done' box when he reported it. When nothing happened, he should have talked to the police, or resigned in protest. Fall on the grenade... I would argue that it's sometimes the leader's role to make a mess, so people see, not just to clean up a mess. To make a mess by way of forcing the issue, and making sure something happens in cases like this.

A good leader or a moral man never consideres a duty to be 'done' when he delegates it or passes it on. He follows up and checks it has been done, and if nothing has been done, takes action, even if that action is sacrificing their own comfort, security and position. You are what you do, not 'who' you are.

Great post TLP.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 10 (12 votes cast)
Paul Kersey writes:T... (Below threshold)

November 14, 2011 11:16 AM | Posted by John s: | Reply

Paul Kersey writes:
This Penn State scandal is so gross and so horrible I had to write this for Vdare.
LA replies:
This is amazing. How did you know all this about Penn State?
Paul Kersey replies:
I've been convinced for about four years that college football is evil, so I've read everything imaginable and have a huge file of stories. This Penn State story is just so gross. But Paterno has recruited thugs for about 10 years that have brought crime to Happy Valley.
LA writes:
It's a good article. I'm not sure I understand your overall point though. Let me try to piece together what I think is your argument, step by step (starting from the end of your article rather than the beginning), and you can tell me if I've got it right:
1. Americans (white Americans) have been deprived by liberalism of their national, historical, cultural, racial identity--of their identity as a people.

2. However, liberal society still allows them to find an identity in such things as college football teams, because identifying with a football team does not threaten liberal rule. Accordingly, white American men have inordinately invested their passions, energy, time, in their favorite college football team. The excessive identification with football is a compensation for the loss of true cultural/national identity.

3. However, instead of these teams having anything to do with traditional America, they are increasingly manned by black thugs and criminals. The reason for this is that the management of these teams, needing to win at all costs, began to recruit black players who were good on the field but were often criminals.

4. We thus have the irony of white fans of teams at overwhelmingly white colleges passionately identifying with teams consisting largely of black thugs.

5. The above applies in particular to Penn State. Starting around 2002 Joe Paterno, coming off an unprecedented string of four losing seasons in five years, and having been criticized for not recruiting speedy blacks, changed his policy and began recruiting blacks, an extraordinary number of whom were criminals.

6. According to the 2008 ESPN article by Paula Lavigne that you quote, "Since 2002, 46 Penn State football players have faced 163 criminal charges, according to an ESPN analysis of Pennsylvania court records and reports. Twenty-seven players have been convicted of or have pleaded guilty to a combined 45 counts." Almost all of the players charged with or convicted of crimes have been black.

7. However, no one at Penn State was bothered by this, since the infusion of black criminal types who had good football skills led Penn State back to being a winning team again.

8. This same over the top identification with football explains the Penn students' riot against the firing of Paterno this past week. They were more disturbed by the loss of a famous winning coach than by the fact that the coach and the entire football establishment at Penn State had been turning a blind eye to a child molester in their ranks.

So, there's your argument as I see it. Your main beef in this article is that football has become an opiate for white America, brutalizing them so that they no longer care about more important things. They don't care that their school has elicited the service of criminals in order to have winning football teams, and they don't care if their football coaches facilitate (or commit) the molestation of children.

Where, then, does the racial issue fit into your argument? It seems to me that the main problem you are pointing to is not the black criminals on the teams, but rather the worship of football teams even if they have black criminals.

Thus the recruitment of black criminals as players, and the tolerance of such black criminals on teams, are not the main problem, according to your argument as I understand it. Rather, they are effects of the main problem, which is the worship of football and the desire to win at any cost. And the worship of football stems in turn from the destruction of America's national identity by liberalism.

What do you think of what I've said?

Paul Kersey replies:
What you just said, so succinctly, is basically it. The racial part of the equation is that most whites have no positive examples of black people to pull from in their normal lives, but sports--especially college sports--offers that opportunity. Most whites have NO interaction with blacks, but when it comes to college football, where whites derive their identity, coaches recruit black players non-stop, even though most of the players have no business being at the school for academic reasons.
I can see where you are coming from in that respect. For further background, you'd have to read this article that I wrote last year where I coined the term Opiate of America for college football.

But most of what you just said is right. The racial part of the equation is very important though.

LA replies:
Ok, there's an additional element to your thesis: whites are so needy of having black figures to relate to, that the ones they end up relating to are thugs and criminals.
Paul Kersey replies:
You are not only getting this idea, but exploring different avenues.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: -4 (10 votes cast)
There is this veiled attemp... (Below threshold)

November 14, 2011 1:40 PM | Posted by Paul: | Reply

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 0 (4 votes cast)
This is about the "Men's Cl... (Below threshold)

November 14, 2011 2:20 PM | Posted by Paula: | Reply

This is about the "Men's Club". It has gone on for EVER and is alive and kicking kids assess. Well.. not kicking.
The first guy was the janitor who say S blowing a kid in the shower. He new he would be scapegoated and loose his job-also a coward. The two guys who saw S sexing up boys did NOT attack him and try to kill him and then have the overwhelming empathy to hold the child and care for him for like- I don't know a week or so while you cried for him. What is up with all these men?
TLp is right on when he says they are all narcissists. Only NPD would feel nothing- not to protect, and care for a used child.
Like I always tell children- no adult really wants to "help" you. They want to get you to love them, trust them so they can have sex with you. So, watch for the reach around- it is coming- from a man.
Smart women know about this men’s club BS, the date rapes, the roofie rapes and shares with your jock friends, the ugly violent underbelly of young males mixed with females and the older men who want to help “save” children. Young girls and some boys spend a lot of time fighting off perverts. Some in their family, some everywhere else. The lucky ones who have great fathers and mothers- they have no idea and then on top of that- complete American idealistic DENIAL. Denial is a function- I know- but we embrace it here in America-like a flag or cross with jesus on it.
Never idealize anyone- that’s what the kids need to know.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: -1 (23 votes cast)
One of your best articles i... (Below threshold)

November 14, 2011 2:34 PM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

One of your best articles in a long time. great post!

A couple comments. Those protesting on campus were mostly students who don't have children and are also from a highly desensitised generation; this doesn't absolve them of moral understanding, but it slightly explains the lack of it. As those protesting age and have children they will realize the severity of the crimes that were committed here.

Some also have trouble making the association between action and inaction in this situation, and why both are wrong and morally reprehensible. The initial reactions are blinded by (religious) fanaticism and cognitive dissonance and hero worship; how can someone who has done right so often, who we've been told to worship, be complicit in a cover up of horrific crimes? It's like the OJ Simpson dissonance for white people.

Many also say the coach isn't guilty or charged with any crimes, and that he should be innocent until proven guilty. Fair enough. But the penn state board of trustees university board has read the grand jury report and they need to pick a winner now to save the institution. Since they've only fired a few people and not everyone on the payroll, it is likely those firings will eventually be proven part of the cover up conspiracy. Paterno's role in this affair will eventually be exposed and we'll have a few more vans overturned, until the next coach puts together a couple wins in a row and all will be forgotten.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 0 (6 votes cast)
Tiger Woods has sex with co... (Below threshold)

November 14, 2011 2:38 PM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

Tiger Woods has sex with consenting adult women and people call for his head.
A football coach goes mum on rape of a 10 year old child at his workplace for a decade, gets fired for it, and people riot?

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 13 (15 votes cast)
JohnS @ 11/13/2011: "I gues... (Below threshold)

November 14, 2011 3:45 PM | Posted by Tarzan: | Reply

JohnS @ 11/13/2011: "I guess you have missed the numerous rapes. And deaths. You should read this"

Read the whole thing, didn't see mention of any rape or death. Clarify, plz. Kthxbai.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 6 (6 votes cast)
Hey. Hey dumbfuck. C'mere.<... (Below threshold)

November 14, 2011 4:10 PM | Posted, in reply to Anonymous's comment, by Anon21: | Reply

Hey. Hey dumbfuck. C'mere.

What the fuck does this have to do with political correctness? Go have a smarter member of your tribe explain to you what that concept does, and does not, embrace. Or just, you know, spray it around wherever. Cashier overcharged you at the grocery store? Political correctness! Fired from your job because you came to work drunk? Political correctness!

I look forward to the day when dimbulbs like you render the term completely meaningless, such that the cleverer ones can't use it to defuse merited accusations of racism, sexism, etc.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 4 (10 votes cast)
"Smart women know about ... (Below threshold)

November 14, 2011 8:38 PM | Posted, in reply to Paula's comment, by Empire of Jeff: | Reply

"Smart women know about this men’s club BS, the date rapes, the roofie rapes and shares with your jock friends, the ugly violent underbelly of young males mixed with females and the older men who want to help “save” children. Young girls and some boys spend a lot of time fighting off perverts."

Hey, sweetheart, does this handkerchief smell like ether to you?

What is a crazy, man-hating scrunt like you doing talking to children in the first place? God help us all, but I'm betting you're a public school teacher. Which is exactly why my kids are in private school.

Have a GHB-tini and chill out, ya fuckin' wacko.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: -16 (30 votes cast)
The multiple incidents of s... (Below threshold)

November 15, 2011 12:11 AM | Posted by John S: | Reply

The multiple incidents of sexual assault in the Occupation tent cities are as ugly as they are inevitable. The absence of theft, assault and other forms of attacks is not a natural phenomenon, it is the outcome of a system that protects individual rights. The Occupy tent cities are not concerned with the rights of the individual, but with the grand collective right of the "99 percent" to demand private property on behalf of the government. And collectivist movements are notoriously unconcerned with what happens to the individual.

The collectivist response to the allegations is to urge the victims to remain silent to avoid harming the reputation of the movement. This is a commonplace institutional response to rape allegations. It is not concerned with the individual, but the group. You have to break some omelets to make some eggs and you have to cover up some rapes and assorted bits of ugliness to have a society where everyone's masters degrees are subsidized by the state.

Rape is a symptom of a larger loss of rights. When rape becomes widespread, as in South Africa, it can mean that the society is now lawless and the weak are preyed upon, it can also mean that a society has been conquered from the outside and the conquerors are looting the conquered, as Muslims are doing in Sudan or Sweden. Either way it means the end of a consensus on enforceable individual rights.

Between the tribalism of Islam and the totalitarian hierarchy of OWS or the USSR or any leftist system, the Western world has carved out an imperfect space of individual freedom by leveraging the free market that OWS is busy denouncing.

If OWS thinks the 1 percent is bad in the United States, try the 1 percent in Medieval England, the USSR or Egypt in the present day. The 1 percents over there were and are a good deal worse with much more power and few rights for the commoners that needed respecting. And for all the working groups, the occupiers have not managed to come up with anything that works any better than the system they are denouncing.

While the left has consistently tied the redistribution of power to the redistribution of wealth, the United States Constitution redistributed power as widely as possible and then let the free market take care of the redistribution of wealth. The system has worked well enough that half the world would like to move to the United States, not because it has a wealth of natural resources, plenty of countries have that, but because it actually is the land of opportunity.

The free market difference extended economic power to individuals, rather than groups. The less regulated the marketplace was, the less use there was for the hereditary power of a nobility. It wasn't the radicals who really put an end to the crown and scepter. That's the difference between America and France, where the bourgeois revolution of businessmen and militias led to an independent republic, while the French Revolution of lawyers, nobles and their ragged mobs paved the way for more chaos and the return of the crown in various other forms.

Almost a century after the French Revolution, France was being ruled by the Second Empire and the Napoleonic Dynasty. Around the same time the United States had put an end to slavery and was enjoying nearly eighty years of uninterrupted rule under the world's second-oldest written Constitution. There's the discreet charm of the bourgeoisie which managed to roll out a system of government that could be scaled from a portion of one coast to half a continent, survive a civil war and two world wars.

Women's rights are yet another example of radical activism not translating into freedom. French women were vocally and passionately involved in their liberation movements and despite all the declarations and slogans, not only was France one of the last countries in Europe to give women the right to vote, but it did so only belatedly in 1944. The reason has an obvious overlap with what is going on at OWS.

The political involvement of women in a collectivist system did not translate into meaningful rights, while American feminists could campaign for individual rights, their French counterparts were joining doomed radical movements which did paid lip service to suffrage but did not truly support it. The collective goals of French political movements were too concerned with society as a whole, for the individual to be meaningfully represented. Women's rights had to keep taking a back seat for the more important collective issues.

It is no coincidence that the growing political power of women correlated not with radical politics, but with their growing economic power. Individual rights have always followed the trajectory of free market rights. Only individuals within a group that achieves wealth can achieve any meaningful equality. That's the difference between Asian-Americans and African-Americans.

Without the industrial revolution, it is doubtful that women would have had a national right to vote or that there would have ever been a civil rights movements. But the revolution multiplied the value of the individual worker and made occupational flexibility possible. It is only through this that women came to be viewed as more than a subset of the family and workers as more than subsets of the plantation.

The American colonist began the process with the exploitation of a continent full of available land putting him outside the remnants of the old landholding system. The American manufacturer and inventor continued it by making development of agricultural and eventually even non-agricultural products into a massive industry in which everyone could participate. None of this was glamorous or ideal, but it worked. It worked so well that we are all the beneficiaries.

Private land ownership and labor mobility made individual rights possible. It also made rape into a crime against an individual, rather than a crime against a family or a society. And this is important. In a tribal system, rape is a crime against a woman's guardian. In a totalitarian state, rape is a crime because it disrupts public order. In neither of these is it a crime against the rights of an individual.

Muslims don't view rape as a crime because they don't recognize women as having individual rights. Tribal belonging yes, rights no. The hierarchy, whether it's the USSR or OWS or any other similar monstrosity sees it as a crime against public order, and their goal is to maintain that order in the name of the larger cause. But that order can be maintained by suppressing rape or by suppressing reports of rape. Totalitarian systems usually practice a measure of both, manufacturing the illusion of order by suppressing crime and reports of crime, depending on the level of incompetence of those in charge.

Collectivism insists on an ideal that trumps the real, that invalidates the rights of specific individuals in the name of everyone's rights. The greater good. This ideal never works and its failure must be covered up so that the lie continues.

The free market offers the real equality of achievement, while Obama and OWS promise subsidized equality. How well does subsidized equality work? Go look at the economic position of African-Americans, particularly after the subsidized mortgage implosion. Subsidized equality exists at the mercy of a hierarchy while the free market provides breathing room from hierarchies.

There is no equality without independent power and the essence of the free market is independent power. That's an independent power that many have forgotten they even have, manipulated by governments and corporations into misusing it or selling it cheaply.

The collectivists offer the subsidized equality of their hierarchy, which is tyranny with a slogan. Not only can't they promise equal rights to the country under their system, they can't even practice it in their own encampments. If raped women are expected to keep their mouths shut for the sake of the movement now, what can we all expect under an OWS system?

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: -12 (26 votes cast)
Yes, the black are to blame... (Below threshold)

November 15, 2011 7:37 AM | Posted, in reply to John s's comment, by Terrel Owens: | Reply

Yes, the black are to blame for that childs ass rape.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 2 (4 votes cast)
Wait a sec...Where... (Below threshold)

November 15, 2011 7:57 AM | Posted, in reply to John s's comment, by Anonymous: | Reply

Wait a sec...

Where's the destruction of media news vans?

That's nice. First you pos... (Below threshold)

November 15, 2011 9:21 AM | Posted, in reply to John S's comment, by Tarzan: | Reply

That's nice. First you post something that you *claim* elaborates upon "numerous" rapes and deaths, but it doesn't discuss either. Then when asked to clarify, you post a MEGO (My Eyes Glaze Over) unsupported screed that simply extends the unsupported post you've already made.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 5 (7 votes cast)
I'm an attorney, and one of... (Below threshold)

November 15, 2011 10:05 AM | Posted by ThisIsInsane: | Reply

I'm an attorney, and one of the truths that this incident has helped reinforce in my mind is how pointless it is to have laws if the population has no inner moral compass. And frequently not just pointless but dangerous. Becaause you get the sort of thing we have here . . . a lot of people essentially condoning child rape because they did what was strictly required by the law and not what was right. If any of these people had a conscience, the scenario would have played out as follows: McQueary walks into that shower and, seeing what he saw, rips the child from the situation and proceeds to beat Sandusky within an inch of his life, after which Paterno spends all of his considerable reputational capital defending McQueary's honor in the face of the legal consequences of his actions.

I feel physically ill every time I hear someone defend these monsters (which is what every one of them is) by saying they "reported it to their superiors like they were supposed to." That is the definition of perverting the spirit of the law to do evil. And that malignant attitude has overtaken so much of everything. Just my two cents.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 24 (24 votes cast)
"I think I see where you're... (Below threshold)

November 15, 2011 12:25 PM | Posted by blerp: | Reply

"I think I see where you're going here, and if you were sitting in one of my undergrad classes 30 years ago, I think I'd have asked you to drop my course."

Instead of trying to teach or explain why you think he's wrong? How are you any different?

the sad truth is that most ... (Below threshold)

November 15, 2011 12:38 PM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

the sad truth is that most people do not have the moral strength to do the right thing when they are up against authority. it takes enormous courage to be the lone voice of morality....the milgram experiments demonstrated that very well.

You sound like you want to ... (Below threshold)

November 15, 2011 12:43 PM | Posted, in reply to Empire of Jeff's comment, by Anonymous: | Reply

You sound like you want to be a comedian or hollywood writer.
You are exactly the guy who would tell someone else, wash his hands of it and go on workin.
Sweetheart? F-in wacho? Condescending, chauvinist and lack of empathy. Yes, Jeff- these things NEVER happen. Penn state is the biggest example- the smaller ones are going on all the time with no one as an eye witness. These boys are lucky someone saw it happen. Do you not get that? No, of course you don’t. You are the man in the club in denial. You are exactly the problem.
Also, god help us all? I guess that absolves you from doing anything. As usual.
But good luck with the wanna be Judd Apitaw insight and word gymnastics.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: -3 (3 votes cast)
He did report it to the AD ... (Below threshold)

November 15, 2011 3:14 PM | Posted, in reply to JohnJ's comment, by onSwedenshull: | Reply

He did report it to the AD (which is why he won't face criminal charges), just he didn't follow up when nothing happened. So it was something he didn't do: be at all thorough in dealing with Sanduski.

Sweetheart? F-in wacho? ... (Below threshold)

November 15, 2011 9:27 PM | Posted, in reply to Anonymous's comment, by Empire of Jeff: | Reply

Sweetheart? F-in wacho? Condescending, chauvinist and lack of empathy.

Why would I want to have empathy with a fuckin' wacko? That doesn't seem like a useful skill, unless you're a psychiatrist, which I'm not.

Thank you for the feedback. Your opinion is important to me, even if it's wrapped in spittle-flecked, ball-shrinking, Screechy McOutrage feminist invective.

Cuckoo!

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: -4 (10 votes cast)
Paterno reported it to the ... (Below threshold)

November 15, 2011 9:30 PM | Posted, in reply to Empire of Jeff's comment, by So Much For Subtlety: | Reply

Paterno reported it to the higher ups. Who reported it to the police. Who investigated and found no evidence and so no charges were laid.

I don't know about you, but I wonder what Paterno was supposed to have done? Said to someone who had been investigated but no charged that he was in fact as guilty as far as Paterno was concerned? Due process or not.

Someone screwed up somewhere, but what responsibility does anyone have beyond reporting claims other people have made to the police? Do I have to break out my own baseball bat and beat some guy to death because the DA doesn't think there is evidence of a crime? We have words for when people do that.

Seriously. Suppose for a second that the man was innocent. That some disgruntled colleague lied about what he saw. Is it our jobs to determine if that is true or not? We may have an obligation to pass this on to the police, but if they look in to it and decide there's nothing to it, what is our responsibility then?

Someone ought to be fired for this. I hope some people go to jail. But I am not sure that Paterno is the right guy to take the blame.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 0 (4 votes cast)
When you wake up tomorro... (Below threshold)

November 15, 2011 9:33 PM | Posted by So Much For Subtlety: | Reply

When you wake up tomorrow to the unbelievable realization that the Zegna suits in Wall Street are the least corrupt of your generation, remember that the alarm had already been sounded if you had only paused to hear it. Flip over the couch and click off the safety. None of you are safe.

It could be worse. People might wake up one day and realise that the Catholic Church is the safest guardian of children in modern America besides their own biological families. Which, given the rate of sexual assault among children in the State's care, is likely. I am not even sure about the biological families.

Stop lying. The higher ups ... (Below threshold)

November 15, 2011 9:45 PM | Posted, in reply to So Much For Subtlety's comment, by Anon21: | Reply

Stop lying. The higher ups did not report anything to the police in 2002.

I have not bothered to read... (Below threshold)

November 15, 2011 11:00 PM | Posted by BHE: | Reply

I have not bothered to read the many comments, and good job by the way for the scandalous headline that resulted in them, but just a question, seriously:

My entire facebook is lit up with people stepping over each other to talk about how awful they think Penn St. and Sandusky and Paterno etc. etc. are. I agree with all these sentiments, but broadcasting my outrage in as cheap a forum as facebook seems, well, there's a word Alone uses a lot that might be appropriate here but I can't seem to come up with it. You know, how when you want to project an image of yourself to people in the easiest way possible? I'm sure I'll come up with it.

However, Alone seems to think that most of Amuhrica is on the side of the Penn St. rioters, and I'd have to say that based on my limited circle of American idiots this isn't the case. Is my experience unique?

Actually I spoke too soon. ... (Below threshold)

November 16, 2011 12:31 AM | Posted, in reply to Anon21's comment, by So Much For Subtlety: | Reply

Actually I spoke too soon. It was another allegation that was investigated. My point may be weaker, but it remains. He reported an incident - although he denies that it was as bad as has been subsequently described. What more should he have done? What was he told? Presumably that they had looked in to it and it was nothing. The question is not merely why McQueary didn't stop it, but why he didn't report it either.

This is why CEOs step do... (Below threshold)

November 16, 2011 4:21 AM | Posted by HP: | Reply

I love the sarcasm and look-again nature of this blog, but the real worth of it for me is that every once in a while, on top of it all he throws in something I hope to internalize and remember years down the road when I'm in that position.

Harvard, Johns Hopkins and ... (Below threshold)

November 16, 2011 8:23 AM | Posted by zombiechimp: | Reply

Harvard, Johns Hopkins and the NIH still love this guy

BHE - "I agree with all the... (Below threshold)

November 16, 2011 11:59 AM | Posted, in reply to BHE's comment, by Anonymous: | Reply

BHE - "I agree with all these sentiments, but broadcasting my outrage in as cheap a forum as facebook seems, well, there's a word Alone uses a lot that might be appropriate here but I can't seem to come up with it. You know, how when you want to project an image of yourself to people in the easiest way possible? I'm sure I'll come up with it."

While it's obviously much easier to condemn someone or something on facebook or around the office water cooler, NPD isn't about ease of image projection or social gossip (gossip is one way a social group affirms collective values). It's entirely normal for people to have different public personas for specific contexts but healthy people have an inner circle where they're their imperfect, human selves - meaning they're not performing with the people they're intimate with, they're genuine. The other thing that you should know about facebook is that what you see (even from your friends) is determined by algorythms that show you things that you're likely to approve of. All to say, if you're reading it on facebook it's for you! ;-) More seriously, both FB and Google work in ways that confirm biases (not everyone gets the same results for a Google search).

Narcissism is natural and can be entirely healthy, it's simply a word that denotes self love. Healthy narcissism is a self love based upon real qualities, compassion for one's own weaknesses and doesn't entail seeing others as extensions of yourself. People with a healthy narcissism see others as humans, unhealthy narcissism is seeing others as extensions of yourself or objects to be used. Don't mistake stuff you simply don't like in your friends or some moral grandstanding for malignant narcissism, mainly because it'll make it harder to identify malignant narcissism when you do encounter it. I'm starting to wonder if this is TLP's game - it's certainly the kind of strategy that would appeal to someone with a NPD.

"Narcissism is natural and ... (Below threshold)

November 16, 2011 2:39 PM | Posted by Carlier: | Reply

"Narcissism is natural and can be entirely healthy, it's simply a word that denotes self love."

No. Well, yes, that's one way to use the word, but TLP very explicitly means something else by it. He spells out the distinction and his rationale for it here:

and has some more detail here:

, among other places.

Shock is acceptable if one ... (Below threshold)

November 16, 2011 4:32 PM | Posted by Johns: | Reply

Shock is acceptable if one is surprised by something completely unexpected.

This is something that does not apply in any way, shape, or form to some Arab and non-Arab writers, media figures, and [political] analysts, who are today expressing their shock and disappointment with regards to the course that the so-called Arab Spring has taken. Today, those who supported the Egyptian revolution are in a state of shock with regards to the domination of the political arena by religious parties and currents.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: -2 (2 votes cast)
“I often tell parents, if a... (Below threshold)

November 17, 2011 7:29 PM | Posted by Paula: | Reply

“I often tell parents, if any adult wants to be around your kids more than you do, beware,” Ken Lanning FBI specialist 30 years experience.
Only an idiot thinks most men want to parent a kid more then their own offspring.

And here we are freaking ou... (Below threshold)

November 19, 2011 4:09 AM | Posted by Resignation: | Reply

And here we are freaking out about the same kind of disgusting adults...again.

While unfortunately this kind of abuse is more likely to happen in the hands of other children.

I think that is it sad that... (Below threshold)

November 21, 2011 12:00 PM | Posted by elder care charlotte: | Reply

I would love to read your t... (Below threshold)

November 22, 2011 1:12 AM | Posted by Nick: | Reply

I would love to read your take on the events surrounding the Pepper Spraying at the UC Davis Occupy event

"I think that is it sad tha... (Below threshold)

November 23, 2011 6:51 PM | Posted, in reply to elder care charlotte's comment, by Leah: | Reply

"I think that is it sad that these students are more upset over football than children being abused at their school. They need a reality check."

No, they don't need a reality check. These people see the situation as clearly as you do. The thing is, their priorities are different than yours. Football lets them be united and have a good time, and when their team wins they feel strong and merry. Some kid? The truth is most people don't actually like kids. And, from what I've seen, most people lack empathy and don't really care about the plight of others. These Penn State students are simply annoyed that some snot nose being raped reduced their chances of winning the big game. Also, most people want to identify with something powerful and cool, not something weak and pathetic. (I imagine that in our culture a boy rape victim feels even more ashamed and worthless than a girl would. Not only has he been violated, but also emasculated. I also imagine an oh so cool frat boy wouldn't want to try on THOSE shoes in an attempt to empathize.) In short, the protesters aren't confused; they are regular boring scum. That is all.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: 2 (4 votes cast)
Man, these posts are gettin... (Below threshold)

December 8, 2011 9:38 PM | Posted by shaolinstan: | Reply

Man, these posts are getting worse....

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: -4 (4 votes cast)
small point: ridiculous to... (Below threshold)

February 1, 2012 2:15 AM | Posted, in reply to Leah's comment, by trolat: | Reply

small point: ridiculous to ponder whether girl or boy rape victims have it worse

It is refreshing to finally... (Below threshold)

April 19, 2012 12:56 PM | Posted by T'ion: | Reply

It is refreshing to finally have someone call out the media. They have never proved their incompetence, vacuousness, bias, and greed moreso than in this case.

I got what you mean , than... (Below threshold)

March 26, 2013 4:49 AM | Posted by Pok: | Reply

I got what you mean , thanks for posting .Woh I am thankful to find this website through google. "Delay is preferable to error." by Thomas Jefferson.