November 11, 2008

Forget Paypal- This Is What Blogging Is All About

The best endorsement I've ever received.  Take that, Malcolm Gladwell.

Wow. I'm going to need a minute to collect myself.

Comments

I have a weird, unusual, c... (Below threshold)

November 11, 2008 1:46 AM | Posted by D. Stein: | Reply

I have a weird, unusual, condition . I continually get stuck sneezes. I get the urge to sneeze. I go AHHH but the Choo will not come. This has been happening almost everyday for about the last four years . I do occasionally complete a sneeze. It seems I finally sneeze just about the time I am totally out of my mind from not being able to do so.

This all started one day when a friend who was talking to me saw me go AHHH. She smiled and said “now go Choo”. I concentrated on what she said, got distracted, and lost the sneeze urge. I immediately got self conscious about sneezing because I am so neurotic and suggestible and started focusing on sneezing and obsessing about it all the time. Ever since then my sneezing has been abnormal.

I have researched this problem for hundreds of hours. No good answers. I have found a very rare condition named “asneezia” that unsatisfactorily explains my problem. I am sure this condition is psychological. However, I have not sneezed even once in the last 7 weeks now and I am miserable. I keep careful track of all my sneezes. How fun!!!

Also, I have only sneezed a total of about 8 times in the last eight months and maybe 40 times in the last four years. I get the urge to but then I cannot release the sneeze. It is like a failed orgasm. I have asked everyone I know including various Dr's. and they have no answers.

Every Dr. tells me it is totally irrelevant whether a person ever sneezes or not . That information does not console me. This problem has me totally obsessed, uncomfortable, nervous and depressed all the time. I keep waiting for the next urge to sneeze to come. It usually does at least once a day but then I cannot complete the act. Then I get depressed.

The only research I have found about this problem being medical is with people who have had strokes. Sometimes their brain stem and medulla will not allow the sneeze reflex to work properly. But then there are usually other reflex problems like inability to swallow and yawn that accompany stroke victims. I have none of those symptoms.

Up until the day that that person talked to me when I was about to sneeze I never even thought about the act of sneezing. I just sneezed when I had to like we all do. The few times I do sneeze now feel no different then when I cannot. The mechanism just decides to work.

Before that day four years ago I never even thought about sneezing. I do not ever remember not being able to sneeze when I had to. Now, sneezing is a nightmare.

I have not sneezed even once in the last 5 weeks. I keep waiting for the next urge to sneeze to come. When I do sneeze I am seriously ready to go out and celebrate. I tell myself I am OK and that I will stop worrying about sneezing . I do stop for a few days. Then a sneeze urge comes. I can't complete it and I start obsessing again.

I am a 60 year old male in very good physical condition. My very neurotic mind is another story. I have suffered from many O.C.D related issues, including anxiety and hypochondria. I am thinking that the ability to sneeze normally will never return.

Anyone have intelligent answers? Thanks.

[email protected]

What can I say, the girl ha... (Below threshold)

November 11, 2008 3:02 AM | Posted by Lexi: | Reply

What can I say, the girl has good taste.

Ugh, just please don't star... (Below threshold)

November 11, 2008 7:51 AM | Posted by just me: | Reply

Ugh, just please don't start writing for Rudius Media. That company has utterly ruined every writer they've ever delt with.

Ouch, a compliment by that ... (Below threshold)

November 11, 2008 9:03 AM | Posted by SmartDuck: | Reply

Ouch, a compliment by that idiot is NOT a good thing.
Since you have been telling us that you will write some day about narcissism, what about start by those girls who think they are special because they don´t have scruples so they can say they will suck the dick of someone hey don´t know, or they will sleep with a dozen guys because they can, like being a slut is some great accomplishment?
How could feminism turn into this? Can anything be more anti-women than abusing the power women have to provoke lust in men?

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: -4 (4 votes cast)
Rudius Media and that girl ... (Below threshold)

November 11, 2008 10:17 AM | Posted, in reply to just me's comment, by Michael: | Reply

Rudius Media and that girl are the only reason I found this site. I've gotten more advice and entertainment from Rudius Media than any other site/book/parent/teacher/anything in my life. Also, name a single writer they've ruined over the years, just one. I'm not saying this blog should move to Rudius, but don't mindlessly bash something that's actually praising a blog you enjoy.

. . . considers starting ow... (Below threshold)

November 11, 2008 11:21 AM | Posted by xon: | Reply

. . . considers starting own blog. . .

Micael...you want me to nam... (Below threshold)

November 11, 2008 12:15 PM | Posted by Just me: | Reply

Micael...you want me to name JUST ONE? Impossible. How about I make you a list instead?

BOTH tard blog writers
Fire on the line writer
Paul L
BC woods
Devil Monkey

Need I go on? Except in the case of BC woods (who was paid 84 bucks for 6 months of work) these writers were paid NOTHING, given ridiculous jobs like editing negative information off of Tucker's wiki page a la Ryan Holiday, defending him against any and all negative feedback blindly,stalking people who critisize them (ask violent acres and Hamilton from gawker about that one) and encouraging group thought on his message board. Those that didn't wise up and quit were fired. The other Rudius writers are still waiting for a paycheck that never comes. Excuse me, if I don't want a blog that I actually enjoy to suffer the same fate.

And of course bunny enjoys this site. She's a borderline in love with biggest NPD on the internet. This site probably reminds her of her diary.

I don't think she's an idio... (Below threshold)

November 11, 2008 12:32 PM | Posted, in reply to SmartDuck's comment, by demodenise: | Reply

I don't think she's an idiot--she writes too well. Idiots don't use the word "elucidate"--correctly--in their blogs.

As for the sex, there's a good chance it's mostly marketing. What's the easiest way to drive more traffic to a site? Talk about sex. And I don't mean in a clean, academic, clinical manner.

In a culture where Tucker Max is a New York Times bestselling author (not saying this is a good thing or bad thing, it just *is*) you pretty much have to dress your ideas in pasties and a g-string and give them pole-dancing lessons before they get any attention.

I'd say I was proud of myse... (Below threshold)

November 11, 2008 2:46 PM | Posted by SeeMoreGlass: | Reply

I'd say I was proud of myself because I found this blog *all by myself*, but I'd be afraid of being pegged a narcissist. But, Guy Who Writes This Blog, I've been raving about this site to everyone I know over the past year.

And yes, Tucker Max sums up everything that is wrong with culture today, and yesterday, and the day after that. Ain't no different today than it was twenty years ago, you know, when I was three. ;)

Sorry about your problem, sneezy, if that was a joke it was hilarious.

Vote up Vote down Report this comment Score: -1 (3 votes cast)
Doesn't blogging/social net... (Below threshold)

November 11, 2008 3:00 PM | Posted by demodenise: | Reply

Doesn't blogging/social network profiles, etc. = narcissism anyway? Why else would we throw all kinds of information about ourselves, our interests, our sexploits, etc., if not to convince other people that we are the person that we wish we were?

Maybe I'm just remembering an old post of Alone's, but I can't seem to find it.

It would make a fun research/thesis topic. . ."The impact of social networking on NPD traits in 20-40 year old adults." Maybe I'll get that PhD one day after all. . .

Wow. Many are so quick to t... (Below threshold)

November 11, 2008 5:27 PM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

Wow. Many are so quick to throw stones at Bunny for being the way she is. I have always got the impression of honesty from her blog. She inspires me to be a better writer if nothing else. I wonder how many people would feel if they actually got a chance to sit and talk with her; they might learn a thing or two. She just happened to find an outlet to share her voice. If you aren't doing the same, or better, why do you bash her?

Hmm, flattered by one of th... (Below threshold)

November 11, 2008 10:46 PM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

Hmm, flattered by one of those you crusade against...

Dude. There's no reason to... (Below threshold)

November 11, 2008 11:29 PM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

Dude. There's no reason to be a dick about it. The post you link to seems to be genuine praise for your blog. If you don't care to be praised by the woman, the classy thing would be to pretend you don't notice.

And considering the recent minor whining you've been doing that you need more traffic, maybe you should count her plug as a blessing.

And SmartDuck, Alone here rather frequently remarks about punching people he doesn't know in the genitals. It's a joke, get it? Same level of humor as another blogger saying she's suck his dick. Har har.

I second Michael's comment:... (Below threshold)

November 12, 2008 1:13 AM | Posted, in reply to Michael's comment, by DavidFriday: | Reply

I second Michael's comment: I too have received an enormous amount of advice and entertainment from the Rudius Media community, and TheBunnyBlog in particular. I agree, there is a real honesty in her writing, and because of that honesty, through her blog she has painted a picture of herself that really is unforgiving, authentic, and human in ways that you usually don't see in writing. Personal taste is, of course, subjective, but you'd be hard pressed to find more than a small handful of other bloggers writing about themselves (and writing WELL) with such open and brutal honesty.

Does anyone think maybe he'... (Below threshold)

November 12, 2008 2:00 AM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

Does anyone think maybe he's thankful for the plug because he enjoys her writing as well? Because maybe on some level they have the same wavelength of thinking? Just because you read about what someone thinks on a certain subject doesn't mean you know how he would react if he interacted with the person he writes about. That maybe he is inspired and relates on some level, which is why he is good at his observations.

Look, this is why you don't... (Below threshold)

November 12, 2008 3:26 AM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

Look, this is why you don't get any Diggs or Reddits (consider it a favor):

1) The Digg/Reddit crowd is mostly comprised of liberal, pseudo-techy visitors of 4chan and similar imageboard sites. As... well, everyone on the internet, they seek information that confirms their own points of view. And you know what that's called: confirmation bias. Therefore, you'll see Huffington Post, Ron Paul, Apple iPhone, and the next lolcat stories each and every day hit the front page.

2) A handful of users are responsible for most of the site's content hitting the front page. Most users, using the friends and shouts system, don't read the stories they digg or even care. They digg blindly in an effort to "I scratch your back, you scratch my back". Want your site to hit the front page? Make a deal with MrBabyMan.

3) HuffingtonPost will get on the front page daily because of the site's large amount of traffic, which in turn pushes it up the upcoming stories and the recommendation engine. The Digg algorithm cries every time that happens. Users don't care, though, because did you see how those right-wing nuts ruined the country?(??!)

4) I don't believe most of your audience even knows what Digg is. If I had to guess, and from looking at the comments I think it's fair to say they're mostly confused patients looking for answers, self-declared skeptic "intellectuals", anti-psychiatry folk, culture "warriors", and armchair psychoanalysts. Together they form their own group seeking to validate, you bet, their confirmation bias. I wonder, are they too self-centered to even care about Digg? Hmm...

5) Your headlines. Nobody gives a crap about them. "Top 10 things you should know about..." "What X isn't telling you about..." "New iPhone Firmware Narcissism". Maybe. Yours? Pfft... no.

6a) Most importantly, why would anyone donate to this social experiment of yours? Either you can't see past your own narcissism (which, by the way, gets a free pass on the whole science, theory, research area in this blog as opposed to every other area of psychiatry. "You get a narcissist! You get a narcissist! You get a narcissist!" Lay off the Oprah, doc) and your desperate efforts for attention not on groundbreaking evidence against the field's structural weaknesses and dogmas but on your crackpot theories about the world, or this blog of yours is akin to Michael Haneke's "Funny Games" which invites the audience (plays with it, more like it) into a masturbatory , S&M study of a thriller/horror/psychopath but not really, "experience" of a film. You either buy it as a rival to SAW (all one hundred of them) and are, hence, an idiot, or you indulge in the director's fantasies of superiority and "high brow" cinema of denial. I side with the latter as I recall a particular post in which you denied people's right to take their own lives as theirs and you were content in your silence and gave short but taunting reply.

6b) Your tone and your content. Why should I pay you to support this blog when I can get your exact same comments and ideas, but without all the crazy, from sites such as healthcentral.com and similar others. If you didn't paint yourself as a lone crusader and fighter against a hard-headed enterprise, you'd be, shock and horror, more likable... [etc]

Alone's response: You, sir, reek of Metafilter.

Some of your advice is probably right, but I can only do what I can do. As for my content/tone/lifestyle, it's easy to say if you don't like it, go elsewhere, but I'd rather say, if you don't like it, tell me what to change. If there's a specific topic, send it to me. The tone is what it is, unfortunately, take it or leave it. It's a blog, not a scientific publication, and I am not trying to get people to like me, only hear a side they never hear anywhere else.

I'll also say (a general comment) writing helps you synthesize your own thoughts and ideas, so it is a worthwhile endeavor simply on that.

Sorry to truncate the rest of your comment, I hope you understand. I'm not trying to damage anyone's reputation, let alone mine, and if people want to like me or hate me anonymously, I let them do that as well. But the focus here is the content, and I am always willing to take suggestions and criticisms. Mostly because I already know I suck as a writer. But I'm getting better...

BLAH BLAH BLAHBITTY BLAH! I... (Below threshold)

November 12, 2008 4:31 AM | Posted by Erin Tyler: | Reply

BLAH BLAH BLAHBITTY BLAH! I'M SO EGO-FREE, BUNNY FUCKING BLOWS!!!! Tucker, Tucker, Tucker. Suck my dick; don't touch me!

Last psychiatrist, you're genius, don't stop. Do not ever stop. Ever. I adore your blog.

I only found this site b/c ... (Below threshold)

November 12, 2008 5:55 AM | Posted by Lachendr0: | Reply

I only found this site b/c of the bunny blog. I spent back to back nights going through the archives. Keep up the work.

Say what you will about bun... (Below threshold)

November 12, 2008 11:02 AM | Posted by just me: | Reply

Say what you will about bunny as a person or a writer. All I'm saying is Rudius Media, as a company, is unethical, dishonest, irresponsible, and has a reputation for screwing over its writers. I just would hate to see this blog suffer the same fate.

Hahaha silly bunny. ... (Below threshold)

November 13, 2008 12:20 PM | Posted by jess: | Reply

Hahaha silly bunny.

....tricks are for hookers!... (Below threshold)

November 15, 2008 8:17 AM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

....tricks are for hookers!

@asneezy: Did you try looki... (Below threshold)

December 8, 2008 9:29 PM | Posted by unreliable narrator: | Reply

@asneezy: Did you try looking at a very bright light just as you start to (not) sneeze? That always tips me over the edge.

Hey i had the same p... (Below threshold)

April 14, 2009 5:05 PM | Posted by K-lo: | Reply

Hey
i had the same problem 4 years a go and it was there for 2 months.
it disappeared when i started to ignored it and i believed that i have to stay with it.
2nd advise , the problem is psychological,if you socialize pray for your self ... it will go