June 29, 2009

It's Either Narcissism Or Dementia

Michael Jackson's father gets interviewed.

I'm not making a diagnosis here, I've never heard him talk except in this interview, he could be so overcome with grief that he's not thinking straight...

... so allowing for that, observe how he makes the interview about himself.  Narcissism doesn't mean you think you're the greatest person on earth, but rather that all things in the world are relevant only as they impact you.

CNN interviewer: The father of Michael Jackson, Joe Jackson joins us here tonight.  How are you doing, sir, how is the family holding up?

Joe:
I'm great.  My family's doing pretty good.

CNN: Yeah?

Joe: Yes they are.

CNN:
The last couple of days have been really tough...

Joe: ... yes, it has been tough, really tough.  Remember, we just lost the biggest superstar in the world.

CNN: How is Mrs. Jackson?

Joe: She's fine, thank you.

CNN, clearly stumped
:  umm... is there anything you'd like to share with the world about your son and his legacy?

Joe: Yeah, I've got a statement here... give me this statement.. (publicist reads this statement while he watches:)

"Our family sincerely thanks all of you around the world for your love and support during our time of grief.  Our beloved son Michael Jackson loved you all. Michael's children are our first priority. We will have further announcements to discuss our plans going forward. Until such time however, we have the personal and legal authority to act and solely Katherine and I have authority for our son and his children. We wish to handle his memory and legacy with dignity"...

CNN: How are Janet, and your wife, and the rest of your family, the daughters?

Joe: They're all doing fine.  But I want to make this statement.  This is a real good statement here.  Marshall and I, we own a record company called... tell him... (Marshall finishes:) "Ranch Records, it's distributed by Blue Ray, and that's his next step."

CNN: That's the next step.

Comments

check out the Louis Theroux... (Below threshold)

June 30, 2009 1:52 AM | Posted by randy: | Reply

check out the Louis Theroux interviews on google video. he's got a whole show about interviewing michael jackson, but the closest he gets is to interview michael's father. and that's probably better than if he'd actually interviewed mj.

I vote for all of the above... (Below threshold)

June 30, 2009 3:11 AM | Posted by Dave Johnson: | Reply

I vote for all of the above, laced with an overdose of greed.

Thanks for the post. I coul... (Below threshold)

June 30, 2009 10:17 AM | Posted by David Thomas: | Reply

Thanks for the post. I couldn't agree more.

David Thomas MD

... and so on with the show... (Below threshold)

June 30, 2009 3:31 PM | Posted by Ethel Merman: | Reply

... and so on with the show!

Joe's household was a Frank... (Below threshold)

June 30, 2009 4:27 PM | Posted by woundedduck: | Reply

Joe's household was a Frankenstein factory, so what else could be expected from his grief?

Personality is formed by ch... (Below threshold)

July 1, 2009 12:12 AM | Posted by DR. D.: | Reply

Personality is formed by childhood experiences and by those around us. Looking at this interview in isolation, it allows us to capture a glimpse of how and why Michael turned out the way he did.

If you like the dad, you're... (Below threshold)

July 1, 2009 1:02 AM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

If you like the dad, you're gonna love mom:

The nanny said on Friday: 'Katherine just called me. She said, "Grace, the children are crying. They are asking about you. They can't believe that their father died. Grace, you remember Michael used to hide cash at the house. I am here. Where can it be?".
'I told her to look at the garbage bags and under the carpets. But can you believe this? This woman just lost her son a few hours ago and she is calling me to know where the money is!'

---

Stay classy, mom. Unless she has dementia... greedy dementia. Not to mention that other mom, Jackson's kids' real mother, who doesn't give a crap about her biological children, but does like the money -ahem- settlements the family provides. How f-ed are these kids gonna be when they grow up? Any guesses? I say Prince gets an Abilify and Paris gets Depakote as a mood stabilizer for her bipolar (wink, wink). As for Blanket? Two words: Congressman Blanket

As the child of two 65+ yea... (Below threshold)

July 1, 2009 1:59 PM | Posted by Ksandra: | Reply

As the child of two 65+ year old narcissists, it is difficult to tell whether it's the teenage prescription drugs, the 20 years of functional drinking after the pills were cut off, the new batch of class 3 narcotics after the drinking stopped, or dementia. Or the gas huffing as a child. Don't know what their thyroid levels are, but they have many of the symptoms. I wish I'd had a name for their behavior years earlier (thank you Last Psychiatrist).

If MJs parents were not on a chemical cocktail while raising the Jacksons, they are more twisted and dangerous than we can imagine, yet allowed to roam free. Monster parents do not change, they become monster grandparents, just better at hiding it. MJs parents are sicker than most, since they don't hide it at all. Suddenly I'm reminded of Ike Turner.

Surely some stable celebrity living out in the country who loves to adopt children would be better suited. They wouldn't need the money and understand the challenges of fame.

Narcissism. I was wonderin... (Below threshold)

July 1, 2009 3:09 PM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

Narcissism. I was wondering if you would comment on this when I saw it.

Off topic here, but why on ... (Below threshold)

July 2, 2009 2:40 AM | Posted by Meat Robot: | Reply

Off topic here, but why on earth does your blog advertise for the CCHR (Citizens' Commission on Human Rights)??

Isn't that the bastard child of Scientology and Thomas Szasz that gave "Psychiatry: Industry of Death" to the world as a Hollywood museum?

On topic: very nice distinction between narcissism as self-aggrandizement and simply the state of constant self-absorption. It takes housestaff a while to twig on that concept, but once they do, the quality of their ER work goes way up.

narcism is formed by childh... (Below threshold)

July 5, 2009 4:42 PM | Posted by Psikolog Uğur Dalan: | Reply

narcism is formed by childhood experiences and by those around us

I guess it's a devel... (Below threshold)

July 8, 2009 7:06 AM | Posted by Mark Tyrrell: | Reply

I guess it's a developmental thing: When we are very young children we feel the World revolves around us, when we are teenagers we may come to understand that we are not really the center of the Universe but all people should think the way we do, when we become adults we come to understand that others have an alternate and sometimes equally valid take on reality, not worse just different.

There are plenty of middle aged toddlers strutting around

Well, Mr. Joe definitely se... (Below threshold)

July 21, 2009 11:51 PM | Posted by Linda: | Reply

Well, Mr. Joe definitely seems to be in the beginning / moderate stage of some sort of dementia. I think it every time I see him in interviews. (I'm in my 7th year of caring for my mom who has late stage Alzheimer's, so I've seen it before.) He seems removed from reality, really. His responses and behaviours are WEIRD! This old fella' needs to see a geriatric doctor. No joke!

How to cure a narcissist. <... (Below threshold)

January 8, 2015 10:52 PM | Posted by MonstrousReprobate: | Reply

How to cure a narcissist.

It may help. And since alone doesn't write anymore....