October 26, 2009

The New York Yankees: Mission Accomplished

yankees.jpg

The House that George built.

Sure, now that the Yankees are in the World Series I want them to succeed, I'm a New Yorker after all, and I certainly don't want to see them lose, humiliated, or suffer injuries.  But in all honesty, we have no right to be there.  We have no business going to the Series-- we got there on a series of false pretenses and bullying, facilitated by an impotent League that allowed us to get away with all kinds of manipulations and distortions.  The reality is that Georgey has turned the Yankees into a rogue team.  He's squandered the respect and goodwill of the fans all in pursuit of his own agenda of dominance.

I hate to say this, but we simply don't deserve to win.

The Yankees have made some serious mistakes in the League, and they've never taken any responsibility for them.  Yankees fans ignore the mistakes, forgive the missteps, and turn a blind eye to everything, simply because it's their team.  They conveniently forget the 80s, the steroids, the domestic violence, the racism.  They're nothing but fans.

The reporters are equally to blame, they have completely given up on objectivity.  Ever since they were allowed to travel with the players and enter their lockerrooms, they've become extensions of the teams.  They seem objective, but all they care about is maintaining their privileged access to the players, and if that means doing a fluff piece on A-Rod boning Kate Hudson instead of looking into Congressional perjury charges, well...  It's sickening, we should be ashamed, but we're not.  And they call Erin Andrews a reporter?  She gives new meaning to the word embedded.   They use her breasts to hide the fact that she's just a cheerleader which I realize doesn't make any sense, but that's what's stuck in my head.  You know?

No one seems at all concerned that the guys who call the games are all former players and coaches.  No one calls them out on the obvious conflict of interests.  You read about a game or listen to it on the radio, you think you're getting objective information, but how do you know?  "Strike 3!"  Really?

No one seems surprised that the national newspaper of record is called the New York Times.  Hello?  Is anybody getting this?   I'm sure the Houston Chronicle has a different perspective, but we deliberately suppress other viewpoints.  I challenge you to even find a copy of the Houston Chronicle anywhere in the city.   Try and write a story about how power is being transferred from Steinbrenner to his sons, and see if you're ever allowed in a ballpark again.  So much for discourse.  So much for dissent.

Most Yankees fans are completely blind to the fact that the rest of the world hates us.

If nothing else, the Yankees have been guilty of arrogance.  What makes us so great?   That we have more money to spend on their team?  We may have a superior record, but that has to be looked at in the context of our ability to spend more money.  The Yankees can just buy whatever talent they need.  And Yankees aren't smarter or more sophisticated than other players, they just have better equipment, better facilities.  How the hell are the Mariners going to compete?  It rains there constantly.   The Yankees are just steroid fueled schoolyard bullies.  The Yankees are the United States of baseball.

Funny how while we're busy destroying every other team, we ignore the fact that our players all come from those other teams.  It's not like we have any native talent, we're a ballclub of  immigrants.  But you won't hear that on ESPN.

Let's not forget a fundamental truth: yes, we're New Yorkers and we love the Yankees, but that's an accident of history.  If we had been born elsewhere-- if we were born in Houston, we'd be Astros fans, and every time a Yankee got pulled over for a DUI or got their head taken off by an errant fastball we'd ejaculate in our pants.

If we want to be respected throughout the world, not just feared, we have to come together, come to understand that we're not just Yankees, but baseball fans, and we have to respect that unity above all.

Look, what happened in 2001 obviously was a tragedy.  Of course I'm not saying I'm happy Arizona decimated us 4 games to 3, I'm not saying I want it to happen again, I'm not saying we deserved it, but... I understand.

------

Comments

Robinson Cano was a Staten ... (Below threshold)

October 26, 2009 5:42 PM | Posted by mcsladek: | Reply

Robinson Cano was a Staten Island Yankee in the minors. That's native talent...purchased for a sum, etc, but still native talent.

Though it's a lovely little metaphor how a city built on starry-eyed immigrants produced a baseball team picked gathered from the four corners of the US, it is important to remember that MLB is the only one that really comes out on top, no matter which team gets the ring.

Maybe you missed the memo o... (Below threshold)

October 26, 2009 5:48 PM | Posted by Anony-Mouse: | Reply

Maybe you missed the memo on this one, but YANKEES SUCK!

Sorry, had to do it.

"If nothing else, the Yanke... (Below threshold)

October 26, 2009 5:49 PM | Posted by Angrysizefries: | Reply

"If nothing else, the Yankees have been guilty of arrogance. What makes us so great? That we have more money to spend on their team? We may have a superior record, but that has to be looked at in the context of our ability to spend more money. The Yankees can just buy whatever talent they need."

Well...to play devil's advocate here, the Yankee management does do a great job of spending a lot of money well. Their investments and trades rarely blow up in their face spectacularly, if at all. They didn't...oh...I don't know...sign a guy who cost 5 million just to talk to who, instead of putting up no-hitters and racking up wins, was quickly dropped to AAA on "rehab". Or bet big on two old National League pitchers far past their prime and take devastating losses. Compare that to the acquisition of someone like A-Rod or Teixeira who have paid out. The damn Yankees are good with their money, and that does count for a lot.

Course this little digression ignores the whole allegory behind this post in favor of splitting hairs about the literal part...but whatever. Nice one by the way.

I'm glad you're covering yo... (Below threshold)

October 26, 2009 6:13 PM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

I'm glad you're covering your ass because the phillies are going to win.

Unity? Yankess fans? Ha! Yo... (Below threshold)

October 26, 2009 6:17 PM | Posted by woundedduck: | Reply

Unity? Yankess fans? Ha! You're Yankees fans! You suck!

the yankees are not good wi... (Below threshold)

October 26, 2009 7:30 PM | Posted by randy: | Reply

the yankees are not good with THEIR money, they are good with OUR money. those cocksuckers took hundreds of millions to build their new stadium, when steinbrenner is sitting on a fucking mountain of money. he can go die in a fire.

you said it well when you called them The United States of Baseball.

I grew up in the south, som... (Below threshold)

October 26, 2009 8:44 PM | Posted by beelicious: | Reply

I grew up in the south, somewhat annoyed by but mostly indifferent to the Yankees. Then I went to college in Baltimore and learned to properly hate the Yankees. Yankees suck!

What's all this "we"... (Below threshold)

October 26, 2009 10:36 PM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

What's all this "we" business? "We" have no right to be there, "we" have no right going to the Series...I don't recall you making a full disclosure of your association with the Yankees.

"They're nothing but fans."

I don't get the point of this sentence. Who would you have them be? Well-informed and objective upstanding citizens? If that were the case then no team would have any fans. All the complaints you have re: scandal - I could pull any professional team out of a hat (especially one that's been around more than 15 years) and there would be numerous scandals involving the team and/or its members/staff. But they still have their fans who know that in sports loyalty is number one, so they're still around. (This explains why the Clippers are able to sell any tickets whatsoever.) And all the complaints about the money spent on the Yankees - where do you think a chunk of that money comes from? Oh yeah, the fans. But they're just fans.

The Yankees are no different from any other team. Your observations about reporters, newspapers, commentators are as applicable to the Green Bay Packers or the Denver Nuggets. The Yankees are just more popular - and that's part of the fun for the haters - let's everyone band together and hate the most popular girl in school. The rest of MLB fans are like the kids who play Dungeons and Dragons in their grandmother's basement.

Did someone else ghostwrite this entry? It doesn't sound like you at all. Usually your criticism is very reasoned, measured, and organized. This just sounds like a venting bitchfest over cocktails. But the Yankees tend to bring that out in people.

(And just for the record - I'm a Toronto fan. i get the pleasure of watching my team get their ass kicked week after week, often by the Yankees. I just think it's funny when people take things so personally when it comes to that particular team.)

You just reminded me this i... (Below threshold)

October 27, 2009 12:27 AM | Posted by Diego: | Reply

You just reminded me this is a personal blog.

This is a transparent alleg... (Below threshold)

October 27, 2009 12:38 AM | Posted by theskepticalshrink: | Reply

This is a transparent allegory.

I mean, you don't actually ... (Below threshold)

October 27, 2009 12:42 AM | Posted by theskepticalshrink: | Reply

Recall that Obama was burne... (Below threshold)

October 27, 2009 12:46 AM | Posted by theskepticalshrink: | Reply

Recall that Obama was burned in effigy in Afghanistan yesterday. This post is not about a baseball team.

Yep, I got the deeper meani... (Below threshold)

October 27, 2009 7:05 AM | Posted by fraise: | Reply

Yep, I got the deeper meaning too. For me it was reading "I'm sure the Houston Chronicle has a different perspective, but we deliberately suppress other viewpoints." Then again, I live in France, where I have access to the printed (not talking about websites here, but actual papers) Financial Times, the New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Guardian, Los Angeles Times, El País, Die Zeit, Die Welt, Der Spiegel (weekly magazine, but always in the paper racks), Il Corriere, and a few others I've forgotten, in addition to national and regional French papers, including ones from Corsica and the Bordeaux region (I live in southeastern France), at the tiny little press shop in the small town of a couple thousand people where I go to work every day. Granted, it's a town with an international presence, but I've been able to find the NYT, WSJ, FT, Guardian, País, Corriere and Spiegel in tiny villages in Savoie too.

Could an American in a US city of even 50,000 find Le Monde or Libération outside of specialty stores or, if lucky, the local university library? Okay, foreign languages, maybe a bit too difficult - The Guardian? The Financial Times? (The FT is from the UK.) Trick question since I grew up in an American university town of 50,000 and already know the answer... had to go to the university library, and couldn't take it outside. (Our public libraries didn't have subscriptions to int'l papers since they knew the university did. Hopefully non-university cities' public libraries carry a few?)

No one seems surprised t... (Below threshold)

October 27, 2009 7:29 AM | Posted by Jack Coupal: | Reply

Er, no. The national newspaper of record is the Wall Street Journal. But, that's also in NYC. Just because the times claims to be, doesn't make it so.

and, "Look, what happened in 2001 obviously was a tragedy." theskepticalshrink is on to Alone's sleight of hand.

OK,:Mission Accomp... (Below threshold)

October 27, 2009 11:42 AM | Posted by Jack Coupal: | Reply

OK,

:Mission Accomplished

The House that George [W. Bush] built.

"Most Yankees fans [Americans] are completely blind to the fact that the rest of the world hates us.

Thanks a lot, Alone. As a ... (Below threshold)

October 27, 2009 1:23 PM | Posted by Joe Conservative: | Reply

Thanks a lot, Alone. As a Red Sox fan, I could never fathom a vehicle for appreciating the Yankees... Until now. Go Empire!

I don't understand why this... (Below threshold)

October 27, 2009 2:08 PM | Posted by Basil Valentine: | Reply

I don't understand why this post exists.

Possibility 1: It's actually about the Yankees, Alone just decided to take some time to express the complex sense of guilt he feels in supporting his team, much the same way I express pseudo-guilt before I gorge myself on delicious and nutritious food that might benefit, idk, homeless people, starving children, or Lindsey Lohan much more.

Possibility 2: It's metonymy for the United States of America, wherein Alone expresses his complex guilt at being part of a country that, while winning, might not "deserve" to win. Also noted are the ways in which this unsatisfying sense of victory avoids being completely ruined by the suppression of different views, and how various negative trends (the establishment of dynasties, abuses of power) have taken root that make the Yankees/America hated by everyone who is not a fan of the Yanks (see what I did there? Two can play at that game).

Asides from an interesting parallel in timelines (oh, the eighties, oh 2001-- "decimated" 4-3? Surely you can't be talking about something far more worthy of the term "decimation" that happened in New York, in 2001), the Yankees as a metaphor for the U.S. is kind of... old, and obvious.

Everyone knows that the world's perception of the U.S. is at odds with its perception of itself. Maybe the "Yankees" don't "deserve to win", or maybe your perspective is just as skewed as everyone else's-- if it's possible to come to such widely divergent perspectives on a baseball team, then how could anyone come to any sort of conclusion on a country of three hundred million people, some of whom are just normal folks and not narcissistic, complexly-guilty New Yorkers?

Look, what happene... (Below threshold)

October 27, 2009 2:43 PM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

Look, what happened in 2001 obviously was a tragedy. Of course I'm not saying I'm happy Arizona decimated us 4 games to 3, I'm not saying I want it to happen again, I'm not saying we deserved it, but... I understand.
I feel bad that it took me until the last paragraph to notice this was supposed to be a metaphor. I definitely had to read it a second time. Guess that's a good example of how not to passively read L.P... On the second reading it was painfully obvious what was being implied, but without their morning coffee or reading the comments I can sympathize with the people who miss out on this entry.
"I mean, you don't actually... (Below threshold)

October 27, 2009 4:02 PM | Posted, in reply to theskepticalshrink's comment, by PCD: | Reply

"I mean, you don't actually think he's talking about a baseball team, do you? Even if he thinks he is, he's not. And I don't think he thinks he is."

Well maybe he should just talk about what he's 'really' talking about then. The Yankees/America parallel seems pretty clear, but since I don't know and never will know what TLP was 'really' thinking about when he wrote this, I'm just going to address what he *actually* wrote (then you guys can try to figure out what I really meant, even if I didn't know what I meant).

"They conveniently forget the 80s, the steroids, the domestic violence, the racism."

"The reporters are equally to blame, they have completely given up on objectivity. Ever since they were allowed to travel with the players and enter their lockerrooms, they've become extensions of the teams."

Do the Yankees deserve special blame in these areas? To me these are charges against the MLB, not just the Yankees.

"You read about a game or listen to it on the radio, you think you're getting objective information, but how do you know?"

Most people KNOW they're not getting objective info, in fact they actively search out subjective info (ie people who listen to the playoff games on 880AM while watching on TV to hear their home announcers instead of Buck and McCarver or people who read yankees blogs instead of other more objective sources). No one's being fooled, they just don't really care about getting objective analysis most of the time. If they want objective analysis there are online sources they go to which provide it.

"What makes us so great? That we have more money to spend on their team? We may have a superior record, but that has to be looked at in the context of our ability to spend more money. The Yankees can just buy whatever talent they need."

There's definitely some truth here, but it's a convenient argument the year the Yanks go to the WS! The yanks have had the highest payroll in baseball every year of the 21st century and have yet to win a world series in it.

Lets also not forget New York's other team, the Mets. Same city, 2nd highest payroll in baseball, brand new stadium. How's that working out for them?

Interesting concept, Alone.... (Below threshold)

October 27, 2009 11:41 PM | Posted by Matt: | Reply

Interesting concept, Alone. A witty examination of how society works, that *doesn't* induce crushing despair. I... think I like it.

this is very funny. Lost on... (Below threshold)

October 28, 2009 10:01 AM | Posted by medsvstherapy: | Reply

this is very funny. Lost on most ppl, but funny. Since I don't watch sports, but I do pay attn to the creep of international communism, it was apparent to me. Uh oh. now I am gonna get reported to Obama. (don't bother - i nominated myself as a person spreading 'misinformation' about health care, so i am already on the list.)

As a Houstonian I can tell ... (Below threshold)

October 28, 2009 2:18 PM | Posted by Houstonian: | Reply

As a Houstonian I can tell you that most of us don't give a shit about the Yankees or the Astros. I see more Yankee merchandise fpr sale than I do Astros. There are always the rabid few, but there is no city wide passion for any team. I think as a city we all suffer through heat and humidity together, so we don't need to make up as many artificial issues to "hate". Or maybe we are just too fat to care.

Did I miss the "point" of the post? Turns out I don't give a shit about that either.

My big problem is the Yanke... (Below threshold)

October 28, 2009 4:05 PM | Posted by Joshua: | Reply

My big problem is the Yankees subcontracting out half their team to the non-MLB sanctioned team HudsonWater. HudsonWater is juicing, physically harassing the other team, and totally just in it for the money and to get their aggression out by swinging at the ball. And they don't get called on it. It's like the rules don't apply to them.

Damn Yankees! But it's not... (Below threshold)

October 28, 2009 4:17 PM | Posted by Dr X: | Reply

Damn Yankees! But it's not like George sold his soul or anything. He said he didn't just a couple of day ago.

The New Yorkers are ditheri... (Below threshold)

October 28, 2009 6:37 PM | Posted by Kevin: | Reply

The New Yorkers are dithering. Philly will win.

The real America is in Phil... (Below threshold)

October 28, 2009 11:44 PM | Posted by Anonymous: | Reply

The real America is in Philadelphia, anyway!

How many of you cried after... (Below threshold)

October 29, 2009 10:15 AM | Posted by Snarlz: |